Who Stays and Who Goes? What to Expect If Your College Roommate Alleges Sexual Assault

Posted by Joseph D. Lento | Sep 24, 2022 | 0 Comments

It's a situation no one imagines for themselves when they head off for college. Your college roommate has reported you to your college or university for sexual assault or sexual harassment. What happens now?

Allegations of sexual assault or sexual harassment typically set in motion a flurry of measures by the educational institution that can be incredibly stressful for all parties involved. The Title IX office will likely investigate the allegations, and the process should culminate in a hearing. The Title IX decision maker will render a decision regarding your responsibility. After this, disciplinary sanctions may be involved.

But what happens with your housing situation if your roommate accuses you of sexual assault. Allegations of sexual assault or harassment can make for an incredibly awkward living situation among roommates. So who moves? Who stays? Or do you have to remain living together?

If You Live On Campus

What will happen to your housing situation if you live on campus and you're accused of sexually assaulting or harassing your roommate? Will you have to move out immediately? Will your roommate have to move out immediately? Will you have to keep living together?

If you live in a dorm or an on-campus apartment, the school will likely offer your roommate the chance to move to a separate location as an interim measure pending a Title IX investigation.

For example, at Michigan State, the On Campus Housing Handbook provides that one roommate may be relocated when “one of the roommates is violating their roommates' rights.” Additionally, the handbook provides that a student may be removed from on-campus housing if they engage in physical acts or verbal threats of harassment.

Before an investigation finds you responsible, the school should not force you to move from your own room or apartment. However, you can ask the school to move your housing (if you'd like) to avoid awkward interactions. The most likely result is that your roommate will voluntarily have a change in their housing assignment.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't be asked to move prior to an investigation finding you responsible for the allegations. It's a wise idea to be represented by counsel in these matters to ensure your rights are protected.

If You Live Off Campus

So what if you live off campus and your roommate accuses you of sexual assault or harassment? Can the school force you to move?

First, if the alleged assault occurred off campus, the school's jurisdiction may be limited under Title IX. (Again, this is why it is important to consult with legal counsel as soon as you're notified of the accusations, so you're adequately protected.)

If you live with a roommate off campus, the school will be much more limited in the measures it can take regarding your housing. The school may offer your roommate supportive measures that include assisting them in finding new housing. This should be the case at most colleges and universities—if the school receives federal funding, then it's subject to Title IX regulations. For example, at Northwestern, housing relocation is offered as a supportive measure for an alleged victim of sexual assault. However, the college cannot force you to move from your off-campus home.

Protect Yourself

If your roommate has accused you of sexual assault or harassment and you have questions about your housing rights, contact attorney Joseph D. Lento and the Lento Law Firm Student Defense Team.  Attorney Lento and his expert tram can help you make sure your university doesn't violate its own policies. Call the Lento Law Firm now at 888.535.3686 or reach out online.

About the Author

Joseph D. Lento

"I pride myself on having heart and driving hard to get results!" Attorney Joseph D. Lento passionately fights for the futures of his clients nationwide. Attorney Lento and his team represent students and others in disciplinary cases and various other proceedings at colleges and universities across the United States. Attorney Lento has helped countless students, professors, and others in academia at more than a thousand colleges and universities across the United States, and when necessary, he and his team have sought justice on behalf of clients in courts across the nation. He does not settle for the easiest outcome, and instead prioritizes his clients' needs and well-being. Joseph D. Lento is licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, is admitted pro hac vice as needed nationwide, and he can help you or your student address any school-related issue or concern anywhere in the United States.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today!

If you, or your student, are facing any kind of disciplinary action, or other negative academic sanction, and are having feelings of uncertainty and anxiety for what the future may hold, contact the Lento Law Firm today, and let us help secure your academic career.

This website was created only for general information purposes. It is not intended to be construed as legal advice for any situation. Only a direct consultation with a licensed Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York attorney can provide you with formal legal counsel based on the unique details surrounding your situation. The pages on this website may contain links and contact information for third party organizations - the Lento Law Firm does not necessarily endorse these organizations nor the materials contained on their website. In Pennsylvania, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout Pennsylvania's 67 counties, including, but not limited to Philadelphia, Allegheny, Berks, Bucks, Carbon, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Schuylkill, and York County. In New Jersey, attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New Jersey's 21 counties: Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Salem, Somerset, Sussex, Union, and Warren County, In New York, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New York's 62 counties. Outside of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, unless attorney Joseph D. Lento is admitted pro hac vice if needed, his assistance may not constitute legal advice or the practice of law. The decision to hire an attorney in Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania counties, New Jersey, New York, or nationwide should not be made solely on the strength of an advertisement. We invite you to contact the Lento Law Firm directly to inquire about our specific qualifications and experience. Communicating with the Lento Law Firm by email, phone, or fax does not create an attorney-client relationship. The Lento Law Firm will serve as your official legal counsel upon a formal agreement from both parties. Any information sent to the Lento Law Firm before an attorney-client relationship is made is done on a non-confidential basis.