In Alaska, if a college student gets accused of sexual misconduct like assault or harassment, Title IX can become implicated in the case. This is not a trivial issue because Title IX can impact a school's federal funding if the college does not vigorously enforce its code of conduct against sexual discrimination. Accused students, therefore, find that the Title IX investigation and hearing process seems designed to rule against them and for the school and accuser.
Joseph D. Lento can help untip the scales by advising accused students through the Title IX process.
Preparation for a Title IX Hearing
Much of the work comes before the Title IX hearing. Attorney Lento can help students by negotiating on their behalf in front of the Title IX office and the college's lawyers, showing them that you mean to enforce your rights and defend against the accusations. Knowing that their case will be against a student who means business can be enough to make you school reconsider pursuing the charges.
In the meantime, Title IX hearing advisor Joseph D. Lento can help accused students build their defense case by:
- Running an independent investigation to determine what really happened
- Outlining the best course of defense, based on the findings of the investigation and your interests
- Putting together the evidence that highlights your innocence and the weaknesses of your accuser's case, including a strong opening and closing statement, character witnesses, and even expert testimony
- Predicting the line of questioning you are likely to face during the hearing and planning how to best respond
- Coaching you to adopt a demeanor that speaks to your integrity and conviction
- Providing the emotional and mental support that even the most stoic student needs at this difficult time in their life
At the Title IX Hearing
If your case proceeds to the hearing, the preparation will make a huge difference. However, attorney Lento's trial skills will also play an outsized role in the outcome. With professional advocacy skills and an attorney's ability to examine and cross-examine witnesses, attorney Lento can make sure that your case is heard and maximize its potency with the hearing panel.
Appealing a Finding Against You
In some cases, though, the implicit bias against students accused of sexual misconduct in Alaska can overcome even the strongest defenses. However, these very cases are also the most likely to show signs that the hearing process was unfair to begin with. These indicators can be used as the grounds to appeal your case to a legitimate hearing panel and reargue your side of the story.
Alaska Title IX Hearing Advisor Joseph D. Lento
Joseph D. Lento is a Title IX hearing advisor and defense lawyer who can guide students accused of sexual misconduct in Alaska through the investigation and hearing process. With his help, you can rest assured that your best case is heard and that your rights and future are being protected from serious allegations of sexual misconduct. Contact him online or call his law office at (888) 535-3686.
- Alaska Bible College
- Alaska Pacific University
- Charter College Anchorage
- Ilisagvik College
- Prince William Sound Community College
- University of Alaska Anchorage
- University of Alaska Fairbanks
- University of Alaska Southeast
- Wayland Baptist University
Winning a Title IX hearing can mean the difference between achieving one's academic and professional goals or having these goals upended. When accused of sexual misconduct, it is critical to not take the matter lightly and to instead vigorously defend against the allegations. Title IX cases can be won, and Joseph D. Lento has a decade of experience passionately fighting for the future of his clients at colleges and universities throughout the nation and winning. He does not settle for the easiest outcome, and instead, prioritizes his clients' needs and well-being. Joseph Lento is a licensed attorney in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, is admitted as an attorney pro hac vice in state and federal court if needed when representing clients nationwide, and serves as a Title IX advisor and educational consultant to students facing disciplinary cases in Alaska and throughout the nation. Make certain your or your student's interests are protected - Contact National Title IX attorney Joseph D. Lento today.