Title IX of the Education Amendments is a federal civil rights law that condemns gender-based discrimination against students attending higher education institutions. According to current federal guidelines, New Mexico colleges and universities are obligated to promptly and fairly adjudicate cases involving gender discrimination.
Title IX has been applied in a broad range of intercollegiate issues throughout the years, but recently, it's most commonly referenced in cases involving sexual misconduct. If you haven't been living under a rock the past couple years, you've heard that sexual misconduct is occurring at epidemic-like rates on college campuses.
In any and all of its variations, sexual misconduct falls under the umbrella of gender discrimination. Thus, when colleges receive word of an incident, they are supposed to conduct an investigation, determine responsibility, and (if applicable) enforce disciplinary actions and sanctions.
Because of pressure from the general public, survivors, and federal entities, schools cannot afford to make the mistake of ignoring or mismanaging cases. Allegations will not be taken lightly, and the stigma these allegations carry will undoubtedly affect all aspects of your life. This is why it's critical for college professors who have been accused of sexual misconduct to seek strong and experienced legal counsel.
Why You Need Representation
The career damage suffered by professors, with or without tenure, can be devastating. While we at the Lento Law Firm believe wholeheartedly that sexual assault is unacceptable under any circumstance, we also believe that accused faculty members are entitled to civil rights and due process.
Many people are under the impression that schools are always fair and equitable institutions. But in reality, sometimes schools don't play by their own rules. In a swing of the pendulum, institutions that were once lax and arguably apathetic in their approach to adjudication are now aggressively pursuing complaints - all due to the Department of Education's letter that subtly threatened to strip funding in schools who ignored victims. Consequently, the repercussions for the falsely accused are life-altering. With the help of a seasoned Title IX defense attorney, college professors can keep their rights intact, hold the school accountable for any inequity, and achieve a fair and impartial trial.
New Mexico Title IX Attorney
Even the most organized school system isn't designed to play investigator, judge, jury, executor, and appellate court for sexual misconduct. Higher education institutions are bound to make mistakes that can cost innocent people their livelihood, reputation, and even freedom.
If you are a professor at a college or university and have been accused of sexual misconduct in New Mexico, it's imperative you retain legal counsel. Experienced Title IX defense attorney Joseph D. Lento has helped professionals in your predicament achieve true justice in what's been labeled a “flawed system” by both survivors and respondents. Contact the Lento Law Firm online or by phone at 888-535-3686.
New Mexico colleges and universities where Joseph D. Lento can help as a college professor's Title IX advisor during investigations, hearings, and appeals include, but are not limited to, the following schools:
- Brown Mackie College Albuquerque
- Central New Mexico Community College
- Clovis Community College
- Computer Career Center
- Eastern New Mexico University Main Campus
- Eastern New Mexico University Roswell Campus
- Eastern New Mexico University Ruidoso Campus
- Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Culture
- ITT Technical Institute Albuquerque
- Luna Community College
- Mesalands Community College
- National American University Albuquerque
- National American University Rio Rancho
- Navajo Technical College
- New Mexico Highlands University
- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
- New Mexico Junior College
- New Mexico Military Institute
- New Mexico State University Alamogordo
- New Mexico State University Carlsbad
- New Mexico State University Dona Ana
- New Mexico State University Grants
- New Mexico State University Main Campus
- Northern New Mexico College
- San Juan College
- Santa Fe Community College
- Santa Fe University of Art and Design
- Southwest University of Visual Arts Albuquerque
- St John's College
- University of New Mexico Gallup Campus
- University of New Mexico Los Alamos Campus
- University of New Mexico Main Campus
- University of New Mexico Taos Campus
- University of New Mexico Valencia County Campus
- University of Phoenix Albuquerque Campus
- University of the Southwest
- Western New Mexico University
Title IX violations and Title IX charges can upend a college professor's career and life if not defended against properly and as early as possible during the disciplinary process, and Joseph D. Lento has more than a decade of experience passionately fighting for the future of his clients at universities and colleges throughout the nation. He does not settle for the easiest outcome, and instead, prioritizes his clients' needs and well-being. Joseph Lento is a licensed attorney in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, is admitted as an attorney pro hac vice in state and federal court if needed when representing clients nationwide, and serves as a Title IX advisor to college professors facing disciplinary cases in New Mexico and throughout the nation. Make certain your interests are protected - Contact National Title IX attorney Joseph D. Lento today.