What should I do if a college or university violates my student rights in Arkansas? VIDEO

College students in Arkansas have various rights under federal and state laws. When a college or university in Arkansas violates a student's rights, there are recourses. Some of the most common violations of student's rights are under Title VI discrimination in education, Title VII employment discrimination, Title IX sex discrimination, or under the Americans with disabilities act, the ADA reasonable accommodations for documented medical needs.

When there is a violation of a student's rights, there are several different avenues for potential resolution. For a public college or university, you could bring, what's known as a 1983 claim, which is a violation of your rights by a government body. You can also bring a claim by a public college or university under the state administrative procedures act, which specifies how the government must act and the remedies if it does not follow its procedures.

For a public or private school, you also have contractual rights on those school policies, including its code of conduct. You are entitled to rely on these rights and if the school fails to follow the contract, you can bring a claim for breach of contract. It's critical to have the appropriate support when addressing violations of student's rights and having an experienced attorney advisor would be your best ally to do so.

Arkansas colleges and universities where Joseph D. Lento can help address and resolve violations of student rights, include, but are not limited to, the following schools: