What should I do if a college or university violates my student rights in California? VIDEO

College students in California have various rights under federal and state laws. When a college or university in California violates these student's rights, there are recourses. Some of the most common violations of student's rights are under Title VI discrimination in education, Title VII employment discrimination, Title IX sex discrimination, and under the Americans with disabilities act, the ADA, reasonable accommodations for documented medical needs.

When there's a violation of student's rights, there are several avenues for potential resolution. For a public college or university, you can bring what's known as a 1983 claim, which is a violation of rights by a government body. You can also bring a claim under the state administrative procedures act, which specifies how the government must act and the remedies if it does not follow its procedures.

At a public or private university in California, you also have contractual rights under the school policies, including its code of conduct. You are entitled to rely on these rights, and if the school fails to follow the contract, you can bring a claim for breach of contract. It is critical to have the appropriate support when addressing these violations and an experienced attorney advisor would be your best ally to do so.

California colleges and universities where Joseph D. Lento can help address and resolve violations of student rights, include, but are not limited to, the following schools: