Students from far and wide move to the United States every year to seize the opportunities the country's higher education system presents. Thousands of these students from other countries, known as international students, move to Indiana to attend schools like the University of Notre Dame, Indiana University, Purdue College and more to get a college degree and propel their careers. In turn, these students better Indiana campuses by diversifying them and lending their talents, brain power, and skill to improve these academic environments.
Title IX is a federal law that covers all college students and regulates how schools handle cases of sexual misconduct. If an international student is involved in a case of sexual misconduct, whether they are an accuser, known as a “complainant,” or the accused, referred to as a “respondent,” they are expected to abide by this law. But unfortunately, there are certain aspects of this law and its enforcement that may leave international students vulnerable.
Sexual misconduct allegations can lead to serious consequences for any student under Title IX. However, international students must be aware of how this law specifically and uniquely impacts them.
Understanding Title IX
Discrimination of any form is strictly prohibited on college campuses under federal law. Students are protected from gender-based discrimination, in particular, under Title IX of the Education Amendments. Title IX covers all students, regardless of their citizen status, national origin, or immigration status.
Sexual misconduct falls under the umbrella of gender-based discrimination, and there are multiple actions that constitute sexual misconduct. Some of them include sexual harassment, sexual assault, and dating violence - all of which are prevalent on college campuses. Under current Title IX guidance, higher education institutions are to fairly and promptly adjudicate all complaints alleging sexual misconduct in any of its forms.
How Sexual Misconduct Allegations Affect Indiana International Students
Being a respondent in the Title IX process obviously comes with inherent disadvantages. Because of the social stigma these allegations carry, many respondents report being mistreated and neglected by fellow students, peers, staff, and administration throughout the process for merely being accused of sexual misconduct. This isn't an uncommon phenomenon despite the fact that Title IX endorses that the interests of both parties are to be equally considered and catered to.
A respondent who also happens to be an international student will face a unique set of challenges that could disadvantage them further. Many international students feel alienated throughout the Title IX process, not only due to the nature of the allegations but as a result of being unfamiliar with certain American customs.
International students are often less aware of the rights entitled to them and the obligations they're expected to fulfill. Also, important concepts like evidentiary standards and investigatory procedures must be understood to gain leverage in the Title IX process. Not having a firm grasp on these concepts as an international student can make being accused a very confusing situation.
Sexual Misconduct Allegations and Student Visas
The unfortunate reality for international students is that they have a lot to lose when accused of academic misconduct. In fact, these students have much more to lose than the average native student in the same predicament.
In order for international students to remain in the United States for their studies, they must acquire a student visa. This visa only remains effective when international students fulfill certain requirements. Among these requirements is the obligation to maintain a full-time course load, which is equivalent to at least 12 academic credit hours per semester. If an international student is found “responsible” for this misconduct, said student's ability to continue their education becomes compromised. A suspension or expulsion can result in an international student losing their visa.
Indiana Title IX Advisor for Student Defense
As you can see, international students have a lot to lose when accused of sexual misconduct at Indiana colleges and universities. A responsible finding can derail your professional and academic goals. This is why if you're an international student who believes that you're innocent and you need help, it's imperative you reach out to an attorney.
Attorney Joseph D. Lento of the Lento Law Firm can help you make sense of your situation and give you options that will increase your chances of a favorable outcome - contact him today online or by phone at 888-535-3686.
Indiana colleges and universities where Joseph D. Lento can help as your or your international student's Title IX advisor during investigations, hearings, and appeals include, but are not limited to, the following schools:
- Ancilla College
- Anderson University
- Ball State University
- Bethel College Mishawaka
- Brown Mackie College Fort Wayne
- Brown Mackie College Indianapolis
- Brown Mackie College Merrillville
- Brown Mackie College Michigan City
- Brown Mackie College South Bend
- Butler University
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph
- College of Court Reporting Inc.
- Crossroads Bible College
- DePauw University
- DeVry University Indiana
- Earlham College
- Fortis College Indianapolis
- Franklin College
- Goshen College
- Grace College and Theological Seminary
- Hanover College
- Harrison College Anderson
- Harrison College Columbus
- Harrison College Elkhart
- Harrison College Evansville
- Harrison College Fort Wayne
- Harrison College Indianapolis East
- Harrison College Lafayette
- Harrison College Muncie
- Harrison College Northwest
- Harrison College Terre Haute
- Holy Cross College
- Huntington University
- Indiana Institute of Technology
- Indiana State University
- Indiana University Bloomington
- Indiana University East
- Indiana University Kokomo
- Indiana University Northwest
- Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne
- Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
- Indiana University South Bend
- Indiana University Southeast
- Indiana Wesleyan University
- International Business College
- International Business College Indianapolis
- ITT Technical Institute Fort Wayne
- ITT Technical Institute Indianapolis
- ITT Technical Institute Merrillville
- ITT Technical Institute Newburgh
- ITT Technical Institute South Bend
- Ivy Tech Community College Bloominton
- Ivy Tech Community College Central Indiana
- Ivy Tech Community College Columbus
- Ivy Tech Community College East Central
- Ivy Tech Community College Kokomo
- Ivy Tech Community College Lafayette
- Ivy Tech Community College Northcentral
- Ivy Tech Community College Northeast
- Ivy Tech Community College Northwest
- Ivy Tech Community College Richmond
- Ivy Tech Community College South Central
- Ivy Tech Community College Southeast
- Ivy Tech Community College Southwest
- Ivy Tech Community College Wabash Valley
- Manchester College
- Marian University
- Martin University
- MedTech College
- MedTech College Ft Wayne Campus
- MedTech College Greenwood Campus
- Mid America College of Funeral Service
- Oakland City University
- Purdue University Calumet Campus
- Purdue University Main Campus
- Purdue University North Central Campus
- Rose Hulman Institute of Technology
- Saint Josep