Student Discipline Records

The college years are full of new experiences. But during the late teen years and early twenties, the brain is still learning to control impulses and make mature decisions. Kids make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes happen at college. Whether it's inadvertently copying a paper online or underage drinking on campus, a mistake on campus could leave you with a student disciplinary record that can affect your future education and career. So, it's good to understand what disciplinary records your college keeps and how they can or can't use them.

What Records Does My School Have?

Education records consist of the records about current and former students that all public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities maintain. They include:

  • Personal information about students like names, addresses, phone numbers, birthdays, parent and guardian names and contact information;
  • School information such as grades and test scores, documentation about attendance, awards, schools attended, courses taken, and degrees earned;
  • Disciplinary records such as academic or behavioral complaints, witness reports, evidence collected, hearing records, and final disciplinary determinations;
  • Health information such as health and shot records; and
  • Special education records, including 504s and individualized education plans (IEPs).

While you and your parents typically have access to your education records, federal legislation known as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects your records' confidentiality. The law requires schoo