What should I do if a college or university violates my student rights in Utah? VIDEO

College students in Utah have various rights under federal and state laws. If a college or university in Utah violates a student's rights, there are recourses. Some of the more common areas for violations are under Title VI, discrimination in education, Title VII, employment discrimination, Title IX, sex discrimination, and under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA, reasonable accommodations for documented medical needs.

If there is a violation of student rights, there are different avenues for potential resolution. If it's a public college or university, you can bring what's known as a 1983 Claim, which is a violation of rights by a governmental body. If it's a public school, you can also bring a claim under the State Administrative Procedures Act, which specifies how government must act and the remedies for not following their procedures.

Whether the school is public or private, you have contractual rights under the school of policies, including its code of conduct. You are entitled to rely on these rights. If the school fails to follow the contract, you can bring a claim for breach of contract. It is critical to have the necessary support to address these violations. An experienced attorney advisor will be your best ally to do so.

Utah colleges and universities where Joseph D. Lento can help address and resolve violations of student rights, include, but are not limited to, the following schools:

  • AmeriTech College Draper