If you attend or work for a college or university in New York City and are accused of a Title IX violation, your rights are at risk. There are implications that come along with these accusations, and the potential effects on your future life can be devastating. Due to the type of charges Title IX violations entail, school are often all to quick to assume you are guilty based on little evidence, often just hearsay evidence. You have the right to protect your rights with a strong defense and an experienced defense attorney.
If you are a college or university student or employee accused of violating Title IX, Joseph D. Lento is here to help. You deserve to have your rights protected and the Lento Law Firm has helped countless individuals face down these accusations at colleges and universities across the United States, and also in all 5 New York City Boroughs - Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island.
What is Title IX?
Title IX is federal law that sets forth standards on how universities, colleges, and other academic institutions handle sexual discrimination and sexual violence on campus. It requires any school that receives funding from the federal government to maintain compliance with its regulations. Specifically, when someone refers to Title IX, they are referring to the statute 20 U.S.C. § 1681(a):
"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."
Sexual misconduct is considered gender-based discrimination, along with proven instances of bullying, employment discrimination, and unfair and disproportionate opportunities in intercollegiate sports and educational programs.
Why You Need a Student Rights Attorney in New York City
Students that are accused of violating Title IX rules and regulations should quickly consult with an experienced attorney. Those accused of Title IX violations can choose an advisor that will support and accompany him or her throughout the proceedings. Some of the primary advantages of having a lawyer serve in this role include:
- You are likely to be well-prepared to make confident statements and deliver effective answers to questions in hearings
- Your lawyer can correctly interpret the school's unique policies and procedures to make sure your right to due process is protected
- Your attorney will independently analyze the evidence and may find weaknesses or inconsistencies in the complainant's case
- Your attorney may enter negotiations with key administrations to amicably resolve the matter
Getting the Representation You Need
Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents respondents who believe that their Title IX rights have been violated. This entails:
- Student Defendants - students who have been accused of sexual misconduct/harassment and other crimes or acts that violate a school's code of conduct will need the help of an attorney to effectively navigate through intricate Title IX processes and ensure that they are being granted the rights they were promised by the institution.
- College and university employees - professors, teaching assistants, graduate assistants, coaches, faculty, etc, may have been recently notified of allegations against them and will need an attorney to help defend and protect their rights.
New York City Title IX Attorney
If you are a student or employee of a college or university in New York, New York and are facing allegations of sexual misconduct and/or discriminatory behavior, you should consult with an experienced attorney who is well-versed in Title IX's policies and procedures. Skilled legal professional Joseph D. Lento has extensive experience representing people who have been in your shoes. Contact him today for help at 888-535-3686.
New York City colleges and universities where attorney Joseph D. Lento can help as your or your student's Title IX advisor during investigations, hearings, and appeals include, but are not limited to, the following schools:
- College of Mount Saint Vincent
- Columbia University
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Fordham University
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Lehman College
- LIM College
- Long Island University Brooklyn Campus
- Long Island University CW Post Campus
- Manhattan College
- Manhattan School of Music
- Marymount Manhattan College
- Metropolitan College of New York
- The New School
- New York Institute of Technology
- New York University
- NYC College of Technology
- Pace University
- Polytechnic Institute of New York University
- Pratt Institute
- St. Francis College
- St. John's University
- Touro College
- Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology
- Wagner College
- Yeshiva University
- City College of New York
- (CUNY) Baruch College
- CUNY Brooklyn College
- CUNY City College
- CUNY College of Staten Island
- CUNY Graduate School and University Center
- CUNY Hunter College
- CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- CUNY Lehman College
- CUNY Medgar Evers College
- CUNY New York City College of Technology
- CUNY Queens College
- CUNY York College