Academic Progression at the University of Pennsylvania

You put in a lot of time and effort to get into the University of Pennsylvania. You did every extra credit assignment your high school teachers offered. You spent hundreds of hours studying for the SATs. You joined every club your school had.

If there was any justice in the world, college would be different. You've proven yourself, so there should be no grades in college and no stress; just prepare for your career at your own pace.

It's too bad things don't work that way. Instead, being a college student means more stress than ever. Tests are harder, and you have to study for them while trying to figure the whole adulting thing out. Plus, while you can't really be thrown out of high school for bad grades, you can be thrown out of college.

If you're struggling academically and facing probation or even dismissal from the University of Pennsylvania, you might think the last person you'd turn to would be an attorney-advisor. What can an attorney do for a student? Well, it turns out that a lot about college has to do with processes, procedures, and negotiations, all things lawyers are great at. And, if you choose a student defense attorney like Joseph D. Lento, you have the benefit of someone who understands the university system and knows exactly what you're up against.

Academic Progression Requirements at the University of Pennsylvania

Getting to graduation at the University of Pennsylvania means maintaining “good academic standing” from one semester to the next. What does that mean in concrete terms? Every college at the university has its own set of standards.

  • College of Arts and Sciences: Requires you maintain a 2.0 term and cumulative GPA, that you receive no more than one F or Incomplete grade each term, that you complete at least 6 course units over any two terms, and that you continue to make progress towards your degree.
  • School of Engineering and Applied Sciences: Requires you maintain a 2.0 GPA overall and in your major and that you complete at least 8 course units each year.
  • School of Nursing: Requires you maintain a GPA of 2.0 and that you take the “proper course load” each term. In addition, you may only attempt each course twice.
  • The Wharton School: Requires you to maintain an overall GPA of 2.0.

Should you fall below standards in any of these programs, the University of Pennsylvania places you on Academic Probation. In some cases, probation comes with an additional set of requirements. At the Wharton School, for example, students on probation must take 4 course units and cannot receive any I, F, W, or GR grades.

Failure to meet expectations during probation generally results in being dismissed from the university. Some colleges, such as the College of Arts and Sciences, require a semester to a year leave of absence after a dismissal. At other colleges, such as the School of Nursing, dismissal is permanent.

Decision Processes

Where dismissal is permanent, the University of Pennsylvania allows you to appeal the decision. Students in the School of Engineering, for instance, can appeal to the Research and Academic Services Office if they have extenuating circumstances that warrant a reconsideration of their status.

Generally speaking, mandated leaves of absence aren't subject to appeal. However, there are other ways to avoid these types of dismissal. In some cases, for instance, you may be able to negotiate with an instructor to reconsider your work and revise your grade. In others, you may be able to convince a professor to give you an Incomplete while you complete extra assignments.

Joseph D. Lento is familiar with all the options at the University of Pennsylvania. He's a skilled negotiator and can coach you in talking with faculty. Likewise, he's a tenacious advocate and can help you put together an appeals package if that's what is called for.

SAP Standards

If you receive financial aid at the University of Pennsylvania, you're subject to another set of standards as well. The federal government requires all schools to have a Satisfactory Academic Progress, or SAP, policy to ensure students can't take advantage of the financial aid system.

No matter what academic program you're enrolled in, to keep your financial aid, you'll need to meet the same SAP requirements.

  • First, you must achieve a 2.0 cumulative GPA by the end of your first year and maintain this until you graduate.
  • In addition, you must complete your degree within 150 percent of the published length of your program.
  • Finally, you must complete at least two-thirds of all the course units you attempt.

Your progress is checked by Student Registration and Financial Services at the end of each term. Should you fail to meet any one of these three requirements, you will be issued a warning for the next term. Should you fail to meet requirements at the end of the warning term, you become ineligible for aid the next year.

You can appeal the loss of aid if you believe you have extenuating circumstances that explain your lack of academic progress. If your appeal is successful, you are placed on probation and can continue to receive funding for another year.

As with issues of academic standing, financial aid issues can often be tricky to handle on your own. Joseph D. Lento has years of experience dealing with university faculty and administrators. He can help you to successfully navigate any issues that may come up for you as a student, including financial aid issues.

Premier Education Attorney-Advisor

Students sometimes feel they are entirely on their own once they enroll in college, and if they find themselves in trouble—especially academic trouble—there's just no help out there for them. That's not true. The right attorney-advisor knows plenty of ways to get your academic career back on track should it falter.

If you should find yourself facing probation, dismissal, or the loss of your financial aid at the University of Pennsylvania, you want to take action as quickly as possible. Making a mistake doesn't have to ruin what you've accomplished up to this point, but failure to act can. Joseph D. Lento has represented hundreds of students just like you in academic progress cases. He knows the procedures, and he can offer suggestions for how to use them to your advantage. If you or your child is facing dismissal, or even if you have already been dismissed, you owe it to yourself to learn about what options might be available to you. To find out more, contact the Lento Law Firm today at 888-555-3686, or use our automated online form.