Title IX of the Education Amendments is a federal civil rights law that condemns gender-based discrimination against students attending higher education institutions. According to current federal guidelines, Oklahoma colleges and universities are obligated to promptly and fairly adjudicate cases involving gender discrimination.
Title IX has been applied in a broad range of intercollegiate issues throughout the years, but recently, it's most commonly referenced in cases involving sexual misconduct. If you haven't been living under a rock the past couple years, you've heard that sexual misconduct is occurring at epidemic-like rates on college campuses.
In any and all of its variations, sexual misconduct falls under the umbrella of gender discrimination. Thus, when colleges receive word of an incident, they are supposed to conduct an investigation, determine responsibility, and (if applicable) enforce disciplinary actions and sanctions.
Because of pressure from the general public, survivors, and federal entities, schools cannot afford to make the mistake of ignoring or mismanaging cases. Allegations will not be taken lightly, and the stigma these allegations carry will undoubtedly affect all aspects of your life. This is why it's critical for college professors who have been accused of sexual misconduct to seek strong and experienced legal counsel.
Why You Need Legal Representation
The career damage suffered by professors, with or without tenure, can be devastating. While we at the Lento Law Firm believe wholeheartedly that sexual assault is unacceptable under any circumstance, we also believe that accused faculty members are entitled to civil rights and due process.
Many people are under the impression that schools are always fair and equitable institutions. But in reality, sometimes schools don't play by their own rules. In a swing of the pendulum, institutions that were once lax and arguably apathetic in their approach to adjudication are now aggressively pursuing complaints - all due to the Department of Education's letter that subtly threatened to strip funding in schools who ignored victims. Consequently, the repercussions for the falsely accused are life-altering. With the help of a seasoned Title IX defense attorney, college professors can keep their rights intact, hold the school accountable for any inequity, and achieve a fair and impartial trial.
Oklahoma Title IX Advisor
Even the most organized school system isn't designed to play investigator, judge, jury, executor, and appellate court for sexual misconduct. Higher education institutions are bound to make mistakes that can cost innocent people their livelihood, reputation, and even freedom.
If you are a professor at a college or university and have been accused of sexual misconduct in Oklahoma, it's imperative you retain legal counsel. Experienced Title IX defense attorney Joseph D. Lento has helped professionals in your predicament achieve true justice in what's been labeled a “flawed system” by both survivors and respondents. Contact the Lento Law Firm online or by phone at 888-535-3686.
Oklahoma colleges and universities where Joseph D. Lento can help as a college professor's Title IX advisor during investigations, hearings, and appeals include, but are not limited to, the following schools:
- Bacone College
- Brown Mackie College Tulsa
- Cameron University
- Career Point College
- Carl Albert State College
- Connors State College
- DeVry University Oklahoma
- East Central University
- Eastern Oklahoma State College
- Family of Faith College
- Hillsdale Free Will Baptist College
- ITT Technical Institute Oklahoma City
- ITT Technical Institute Tulsa
- Langston University
- Mid America Christian University
- Murray State College
- National American University Tulsa
- Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College
- Northeastern State University
- Northern Oklahoma College
- Northwestern Oklahoma State University
- Oklahoma Baptist University
- Oklahoma Christian University
- Oklahoma City Community College
- Oklahoma City University
- Oklahoma Panhandle State University
- Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology Okmulgee
- Oklahoma State University Main Campus
- Oklahoma State University Oklahoma City
- Oklahoma Wesleyan University
- Oral Roberts University
- Redlands Community College
- Rogers State University
- Rose State College
- Saint Gregorys University
- Seminole State College
- Southeastern Oklahoma State University
- Southern Nazarene University
- Southwestern Christian University
- Southwestern Oklahoma State University
- Spartan College of Aeronautics and Technology
- Tulsa Community College
- University of Central Oklahoma
- University of Oklahoma Norman Campus
- University of Phoenix Oklahoma City Campus
- University of Phoenix Tulsa Campus
- University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma
- University of Tulsa
- Vatterott College Tulsa
- Western Oklahoma State College
Title IX violations and Title IX charges can upend a college professor's career and life if not defended against properly and as early as possible during the disciplinary process, and Joseph D. Lento has more than a decade of experience passionately fighting for the future of his clients at universities and colleges throughout the nation. He does not settle for the easiest outcome, and instead, prioritizes his clients' needs and well-being. Joseph Lento is a licensed attorney in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, is admitted as an attorney pro hac vice in state and federal court if needed when representing clients nationwide, and serves as a Title IX advisor to college professors facing disciplinary cases in Oklahoma and throughout the nation. Make certain your interests are protected - Contact National Title IX attorney Joseph D. Lento today.