College students in Arkansas are probably aware of the code of conduct that their school requires them to follow. However, students are rarely aware of the fact that breaking that code and facing a disciplinary violation is not a small matter. The blemish that a violation can put on your academic transcript can stay with you as you enter the professional world, making it more difficult for you to get the job you want.
By hiring a lawyer to serve as your advisor throughout the investigation and the hearing process, you can protect your rights and your future from the negative repercussions of a disciplinary violation.
Common Disciplinary Violations in Arkansas Schools
Even though all of the colleges in the state of Arkansas have their own unique codes of conduct, most of the differences between them are in the details – the types of conduct that are prohibited in one school are usually prohibited in another. Therefore, many disciplinary violations fall into one of the following categories.
Academic Misconduct and Cheating
All colleges in Arkansas want to maintain a reputation as a place where students get the grades they deserve. Therefore, they all prohibit acts of academic misconduct, such a plagiarizing someone else's ideas, cheating during an exam, or altering a transcript to eliminate a poor grade. Disciplinary violations for any of these kinds of conduct can tarnish an otherwise solid college career and make it difficult to get a foothold in the professional world once you graduate.
Sexual Misconduct and Harassment
Another serious offense that breaks a college's code of conduct in Arkansas is sexual misconduct, including assault, harassment, and stalking. However, sexual misconduct on campus also implicates an important federal law, Title IX, which ties a college's federal funding to how they respond to an allegation of sexual discrimination. To protect this source of funding, therefore, universities in Arkansas will aggressively prosecute students who have been accused of sexual misconduct, making it crucially important for the accused to vigorously protect their rights.
Hazing on a College Campus
After recent media attention, colleges in Arkansas have taken a firm stand against initiation ceremonies that endanger or excessively demean potential initiates. If you are a part of one of these procedures, you could face disciplinary action for hazing.
Alcohol and Underage Drinking
Probably the most common type of disciplinary violation that you can face in college – whether in Arkansas or elsewhere in the U.S. – is underage drinking. Even though it is common, though, an alcohol-related disciplinary violation is still not a minor offense. Interested employers looking to fill competitive roles will look for reasons to reject qualified candidates. A mark on your academic record for underage drinking can be enough to hire someone else.
Joseph D. Lento: Disciplinary Violation Advisor in Arkansas
Joseph D. Lento is a student discipline defense lawyer who you can hire as your advisor if you have been accused of breaking your college's code of conduct in Arkansas. Contact him online or by phone at 888-535-3686 to defend your rights and future.
Arkansas colleges and universities where Joseph D. Lento can help as your or your student's disciplinary violation advisor during investigations, hearings, and appeals include, but are not limited to, the following schools:
- Arkansas Baptist College
- Arkansas Northeastern College
- Arkansas State University Beebe
- Arkansas State University Main Campus
- Arkansas State University Mountain Home
- Arkansas State University Newport
- Arkansas Tech University
- Black River Technical College
- Bryan University
- Central Baptist College
- College of the Ouachitas
- Cossatot Community College of the University of Arkansas
- Crowley's Ridge College
- East Arkansas Community College
- Ecclesia College
- Harding University
- Henderson State University
- Hendrix College
- ITT Technical Institute Little Rock
- John Brown University
- Lyon College
- Mid South Community College
- National Park Community College
- North Arkansas College
- NorthWest Arkansas Community College
- Ouachita Baptist University
- Ozarka College
- Philander Smith College
- Phillips Community College of the University of Arkansas
- Pulaski Technical College
- Remington College Little Rock Campus
- Rich Mountain Community College
- South Arkansas Community College
- Southeast Arkansas College
- Southern Arkansas University Main Campus
- Southern Arkansas University Tech
- University of Arkansas
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock
- University of Arkansas at Monticello
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
- University of Arkansas Community College Batesville
- University of Arkansas Community College Hope
- University of Arkansas Community College Morrilton
- University of Arkansas Fort Smith
- University of Central Arkansas
- University of Phoenix Little Rock Campus
- University of Phoenix Northwest Arkansas Campus
- University of the Ozarks
- Williams Baptist College
College disciplinary violations can impact an accused student's life if not defended against properly and as early as possible during the disciplinary process, and Joseph D. Lento has a decade of experience passionately fighting for the future of his clients at colleges and universities throughout the nation. He does not settle for the easiest outcome, and instead, prioritizes his clients' needs and well-being. Joseph Lento is a licensed attorney in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, is admitted as an attorney pro hac vice in state and federal court if needed when representing clients nationwide, and serves as a student advisor and educational consultant to students facing disciplinary cases in Arkansas and throughout the nation. Make certain your or your student's interests are protected - Contact student defense attorney Joseph D. Lento today.