If I Am Suspended for Academic Reasons, Can I Just Enroll at Another University?

Posted by Joseph D. Lento | Mar 25, 2022 | 0 Comments

A student may face academic suspension from a school for failure to make "satisfactory academic progress" during a specific timeframe—typically by the end of the student's second semester. The nature of satisfactory academic progress can vary by school, but it's generally defined by a student's Grade Point Average (GPA) falling below a certain threshold or the student not completing or achieving passing grades in enough credit hours for the school to consider the student enrolled on a "full-time" schedule.

Appealing a Suspension

A college or university may allow a student to appeal a school's decision, providing the student with a chance to explain mitigating circumstances or give more information that may not have been available when the school administration made the decision. Declining health, family situation, changes in occupation, or field of study may have worsened academic results, but the appeal is limited to demonstrating extraordinary circumstances.

If a student's low grades have become a pattern, the school may decide they need to take a few semesters off to reevaluate their place at the school. After the suspension period is up, the student can reapply and, if accepted, return for a probationary period. However, there are other options for students moving forward as some higher education institutions accept academically suspended students.

Applying to Other Schools

If you think you can ride out a suspension at another university, there are some things to keep in mind. You will have to be upfront about your academic history during the application process. In most cases, an academic suspension or dismissal will show up permanently on a student's transcript. Schools will also usually require a few additional items in these circumstances, such as

  • Official transcript
  • Statement of purpose
  • Professional resume
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Short interview with school administrator(s)
  • Learning assessment

Provisional Admission and Academic Probation

Most schools apart from community colleges will require a transfer student to have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA to matriculate. If the student has at least a 2.0, they may also be placed on provisional admission or academic probation once they start. Many schools have policies on the number of semesters a student is allowed to be on academic probation until they reach a certain GPA before they are suspended. While stipulations on student academic behavior under probation vary by school, students may be subject to the following conditions:

  • Prohibited from enrolling in more than a specific amount of credit hours per semester
  • Must pass a specific amount of credit hours while
  • Maintain a GPA or 2.0 or higher
  • Participate in academic enrichment programs

Continuing Education

An academic suspension doesn't mean a student's long journey to obtaining a degree has ended, but a suspension makes for a rougher road. If you are a student facing suspension from college, you can mount a strong defense with the help of an experienced advisor. An attorney-advisor can negotiate with your school to achieve the best possible outcome. Because in the end, avoiding suspension is better than coping with it. Attorney Joseph D. Lento is a highly experienced advisor who prides himself on helping students in need across the United States. Call the Lento Law Firm today at 888-535-3686 to understand how Attorney Lento and his expert team can help you.

About the Author

Joseph D. Lento

"I pride myself on having heart and driving hard to get results!" Attorney Joseph D. Lento passionately fights for the futures of his clients nationwide. Attorney Lento and his team represent students and others in disciplinary cases and various other proceedings at colleges and universities across the United States. Attorney Lento has helped countless students, professors, and others in academia at more than a thousand colleges and universities across the United States, and when necessary, he and his team have sought justice on behalf of clients in courts across the nation. He does not settle for the easiest outcome, and instead prioritizes his clients' needs and well-being. Joseph D. Lento is licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, is admitted pro hac vice as needed nationwide, and he can help you or your student address any school-related issue or concern anywhere in the United States.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today!


If you, or your student, are facing any kind of disciplinary action, or other negative academic sanction, and are having feelings of uncertainty and anxiety for what the future may hold, contact the Lento Law Firm today, and let us help secure your academic career.

This website was created only for general information purposes. It is not intended to be construed as legal advice for any situation. Only a direct consultation with a licensed Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York attorney can provide you with formal legal counsel based on the unique details surrounding your situation. The pages on this website may contain links and contact information for third party organizations - the Lento Law Firm does not necessarily endorse these organizations nor the materials contained on their website. In Pennsylvania, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout Pennsylvania's 67 counties, including, but not limited to Philadelphia, Allegheny, Berks, Bucks, Carbon, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Schuylkill, and York County. In New Jersey, attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New Jersey's 21 counties: Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Salem, Somerset, Sussex, Union, and Warren County, In New York, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New York's 62 counties. Outside of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, unless attorney Joseph D. Lento is admitted pro hac vice if needed, his assistance may not constitute legal advice or the practice of law. The decision to hire an attorney in Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania counties, New Jersey, New York, or nationwide should not be made solely on the strength of an advertisement. We invite you to contact the Lento Law Firm directly to inquire about our specific qualifications and experience. Communicating with the Lento Law Firm by email, phone, or fax does not create an attorney-client relationship. The Lento Law Firm will serve as your official legal counsel upon a formal agreement from both parties. Any information sent to the Lento Law Firm before an attorney-client relationship is made is done on a non-confidential basis.